The photographs captured on your wedding day are priceless memento of an extremely special day. It is a day which will probably not come back in your life again. Therefore, it is very important to make handsome investments while hiring highly-experienced and well-versed photographers and videographers. Choosing a wedding photographer can become an arduous task, especially because there are significant numbers of photographers available in the market.
Wedding photography and videography is a work of extreme precision and expertise. In ceremonies like weddings, there is practically no scope for rectification, because the special moments lasts for just a few minutes and hiring an incompetent photographer can shatter your dreams. Here, you will receive some indispensable tips which can help you to make the right selection.
- Different wedding photographers specialize in different styles. Decide upon what sort of wedding photographer you are willing to choose. Some of the wedding styles which you might opt for include:
- Fashion – It will help to make the couple appear more styled and glamorous.
- Traditional – Here, the photographers will specifically capture traditional pictures according to the preference of the couple.
- Photojournalism – This is a documentary styled form of photography, where the photographer will try to tell the story of your wedding in a step by step method.
- After you have booked the venue of your wedding, you should focus your attention to book the wedding photographer. The most reputed and the experienced wedding photographers are in high demand, especially during the busy wedding months. Therefore, it is extremely important to book a photographer, well in advance, in order to avoid last minute hassles. If you are planning to wed during a less popular wedding month, then booking six months in advance may be sufficient. For weddings during popular seasons, it is advisable to book at least one year in advance.
- Famous wedding photographers possess a natural reputation. They may be renowned to your friends and families. Ask for recommendations from people whom you trust. If you have a friend who has recently got married, discuss with him/her about their experience. Look at the photo albums of friends who have been married recently. You might also contact other professionals who are working on your wedding. A wedding planner may have some outstanding contacts.
- Try to hire a professional photographer. Hire a person who has got technical knowledge regarding photography and lights. Ensure whether the person has got prior experience of working with large groups of people.
- The online medium is a great tool for searching wedding photographers. Search for photographers who have got loads of experience. Visit their websites, if they have any. It is also a good idea to go through the reviews which are provided by customers.
- Create a shortlist of the photographers whom you have selected, after going through their profiles and viewing their photography samples. After that, you should fix interviews with the chosen photographers. It is extremely difficult to get an idea of a person by simply visiting their website. Through a face-to-face interaction, you can access the nature of the person and learn about the technical skills and professional expertise.
- Prepare yourself with the questions which you should ask during the interview. You should spend time with your partner and write down all the questions which you have planned to ask. Before the interview, both the partners should understand each other’s concerns and agrees on the same topic. Decide whether you would like to meet the photographers at their studios or would like to meet them in your residence. Ensure that you take note of the important points which you have managed to collect from the photographer.
- Discuss about the different styles which the photographer specializes in. Talking with the person directly will give you a detailed idea about his field of expertise, shooting style and a lot more. Clarify any doubts which you might come across during the conversation. The photographer will be more than happy to answer your queries.
- One of the pertinent things to discuss in the interview is the amount of experience the photographers have gained over the years. You may ask regarding the number of projects handled by him/her. Different weddings have different expectations and requirements. You should try to understand whether his experience would be beneficial for your specific requirements.
- Confirm from the photographer whether the selected package includes the cost of assistant, who can assist him/her on the day of wedding. Wedding is mammoth event and it is not possible for a single person to capture everything. While the lead photographer is busy capturing the special occasions, the assistant can capture the reaction of the guests and other facets of wedding.
- Post-production photographs look much better than those which you get straight from the camera. Enquire from the photographer whether they deal with post-production or not. Color correction is the primary part of post-production, which can make a huge difference in the quality of photos. Sometimes, photographers provide this service as an optional-extra. Ask them about their charges.
- Ask the photographer regarding their plan on the day of wedding. You must determine beforehand whether they are flexible to stay a little longer if the wedding ceremony goes beyond the expected time. Photographers are expected to dress properly and wear neat and clean clothes. Hence, inform them clearly about your expectations, so that they can meet the same.
- Ask them to confirm you the exact delivery time of the photos. Apart from that clarify them the following:
- The resolution of the photos
- The number of photos
- During the interview, the shortlisted photographers will generally bring a portfolio containing various pictures. It’s important for you and your partner to look at all the pictures in a detailed manner. Try to gain knowledge about the photos which are displayed to you. Ask the photographer regarding the style of these photos, the nature of wedding and the cost of the packages.
- Carefully evaluate all the interview notes which you have taken during the course of the interview with the photographer. These vital notes are your written records about the impression which you have got from the photographer. It can also help you to evaluate and understand the relative strengths and weaknesses of different photographers.
- Although price is an essential part while deciding the budget for photography and videography, but try to be a little more flexible and be prepared to invest slightly more by hiring highly-experienced photographers. Wedding photos cannot be measured in monetary terms as they are priceless. Try to spend more than your budget to capture quality photos, if needed. Some experts recommend spending at least 10% of the wedding budget on photos.
Today, there are plenty of well-established wedding media companies available in the market, which provides incomparable level of services. These companies have got a large pool of skilled photographers who have got the experience to competently manage any wedding photography needs. Ridge Wedding is one of the highly-acclaimed companies which have consistently received rave reviews from their clients. To learn more, visit ridgeweddings.net or call (818) 292-4742